Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Cost of Living in the Field - No. 1


The Cost of Living - Article 1



One of the task that I find very challenging is managing my money wisely.  I have to admit that in my sinner years and in the beginning of my walk with Jesus, financial budgeting was something that wasn't at the top of my list.  I thank God that he has challenged me to look at earning money not as a means of simply self-gratification, but as a force that can bring a powerful dimension into the kingdom of God.

Which brings me to the challenges of doing a work for God in the foreign field.  Especially if your in a country such as ours.  Let me just add that no matter where you are in the world, understanding and managing your support is very critical.  Remember, the support you get every month comes from people who are giving sacrificially to you and your ministry.  That support comes from your church back home and other churches that have linked themselves together in a optimistic attitude that God will do a great work in your respected city and country.  Understand Pastor, that God will hold you accountable.

Brazil is a country that is actually a country that is rich in resources,
but plagued by mismanagement in the financial sector.  Many here believe that the governments mismanagement of money is because of political corruption.  And though that might seem to be the case, their are people here that make more then the average wage.

This is due in part because of decision made by the individual.  The ones that seem to struggle less are those that have made good choices.  Choices to go and stay in school and not live off the credit or the welfare system.  In other words, most of the time it's the individual and their decisions that dictate their lifestyle.

If you want a better way of life, it's starts by making wise choices.  What is wisdom?  Wisdom is simply doing what is right.  It's doing the right thing.  Simple!  First, it's by giving your life to Jesus.  This is by first repenting of your sins and not doing them anymore.  Then it's making a decision to let God be the Lord of your life.  This means total surrender to the things of God.  What God says, goes!  It's as simple as that.



If you seek the things of God first, truly seek the things of God, then everything will fall into place.  Will it be a smooth ride? No, by no means.  Will you have your ups and downs?  Will you have your very, very bad days?  Of, course!  But you will have AMAZING DAYS as well!

But honestly, you have to remember that this life we live on earth is only temporary.  I know that most of you know that.  But, you will be amazed on how many of us don't live life that way.

I've come to realize that just because I live in a country that is very expensive, I can still make decisions that can impact my life for the good, if I make right decisions.  And I thank God that He should me how before I got here.




So, wether you live in the U.S. or in a third world country, you are still expected to make wise financial decisions.  Always remember that someone is providing you with their hard earned cash that has been sacrificed on the alter of grace.


No comments: